
Last weekend I took my son to a Pre-K classmate's birthday party. I don't know the child or parents, but my son really wanted to go. I was a bit apprehensive about leaving him because the invite said there would be a water slide. I figured I'd check out who was attending, and determine whether or not there'd be a pool. There was no way I'd leave my son there without me watching if a pool were involved. He's not a swimmer yet, but I felt OK leaving him if it was only a slide.
So I walk in, say hello and was invited out back to where the party was held. Lo and behold there were only 2 other mom's there so far, seated at a patio table. The only 2 mom's that I have issues with! The one-that-can't-park-who's-husband-reeks-of-pot-when-picking-up-his- kid (AND he wears a shirt that says "I like hot moms!" ) Great.
The other mom is incredibly snotty and her kid is an absolute brat. I've tried to make eye contact with her or smile at her when coming in/out of school during the last year, but she refuses to register my existence. So, the bad park-er actually scowls at me and the snotty turns around, looks at me, then turns her back. (she's probably mad she's stuck talking to the bad park-er until someone "better" shows up).
Wow.
I don't think I've ever been given such a cold shoulder before. Decide it's OK not to attempt talking to tweedle-dum and tweedle-dee. I ask the hostess if I'm supposed to stay or go? She said I could do either. I give her my contact info, and introduce her to my son. I decide since there's no pool, it'd be OK to leave him there. The party is only for a few hours, and I decide to shop just a few miles away.
I return to grab the boy and unfortunately they aren't done with the cake & ice cream portion of the party. Crap! So, I slip in past the partying moms (by this time I do recognize a few that I am friendly with), and slink past the putting green to the fire pit, and take a few pictures of my son. He seemed to be having a great time with his friends. They like him, at least. I'm so ticked from earlier that I don't even try to talk to anyone except to thank the hostess. I managed to make it out the front door before I started crying.
I don't usually let these things get to me, but I was at a low point that day. My only relief was knowing that I'll probably never see those 2 again.
No comments:
Post a Comment