Monday, July 07, 2008

July Referrals In






It's official. Our agency website has been updated. Referrals went through January 25th, 2006. Our agency had people logged in on January 23rd & 24th. They'll be getting their call tomorrow!
Even though referrals didn't make it to the 27th, I'm still excited. More than likely, we're next!!!! I'm curious how travel for this batch will work. I'm assuming they probably won't get TA until after the Olympics.
I'm actually a bit relieved we didn't receive a referral this month. I think next month will work out perfectly. It might be a bit cooler, no Olympic tourist traffic.

This holiday weekend was great. We spent 4th of July holiday with our friends, Carol & Mike and their neighbors. The boy & I had never seen the hand-held fireworks in person before, so we were thrilled to be able to play with the little sparklers.
Then on Sunday we went to Boulder and ate at the Original Pancake House for breakfast. It was a pleasant surprise to find a few in the Denver area. I don't normally like pancakes (I call then "gut busters") , but these were great, & I was starving. And our wait for a table was only 20 minutes. We then went to a small shopping center within walking distance, & I found a cool baby & kids store, Rocky Mountain Kids. Oh my gosh! SHOE HEAVEN! I'm definitely coming back to buy out the store when we get our referral. I bought a pair of "Baby legs" for our daughter. They are like thick tights without feet & there's no panties connected. Kinda like those horrid leg warmers from the '80's. Moms swear by these things to keep little legs warm, and much easier to do diaper or clothes changes. Very very cute. There are 3 or 4 kids & babies stores right in the same center, all next door to each other. We spent a fair amount of time in the toy store. It's really big and carries more high-end & pricey toys. But a huge selection & really unique stuff.
I bought our baby girl a cute, cute round fabric flower box that opens & she can put small treasures in it. It's not very practical for now, but I really wanted it. I haven't seen it anywhere else, so I went ahead and bought it.
I also bought DS a few small toys for our China trip. I'm going to make him a "while we're away" box that has 1 small gift and note for him to open. One each day.
DH still wants to bring him with us, and I still say no. I'll miss him terribly, but I think it's best to keep him in a consistent environment. He'll have just started 1st grade, at a new school, meeting new friends, new move, and finally getting a baby sister. I think he'll appreciate a trip to China when he's a bit older.
We finally bought a diaper bag. It wasn't my first choice, but it'll do. It's a Skip-Hop messenger-style bag, around $68. Red. Can be hooked onto the stroller or worn over the shoulder. Nice for the hubby, as well. I was looking at Oi Oi bags, and other fancy bags, but it's hard to justify spending $150 on a diaper bag that may or may not be usable later. The Skip-hop doesn't scream "diaper bag" either. I wish there were more of a fancy selection when my son was born, but I'll save spending the big money on car seats. Everyone raves about the Britax seats and says the extra money is well worth it for their ease of use and the safety features. Since we'll need 2 seats at a cost of around $600, I'll skimp somewhere else.

In other news, I finally broke down & got my dog Caesar a doggie diaper. DS refuses to admit his beloved pug has been reduced to a diaper, but I just can't have any more accidents in the house when he can't make it outside. Hubby insists we call them "man pants". Okaaaayyy. If that make ya feel better, then Man Pants it is!

We've pretty much narrowed down our house-hunting search to the south area of Denver. Since we plan on being in this next house for a long time, it makes more sense to live closest to the probable job locations, as well as our adoption agency. DH is a little bent over this as I think he'd just as soon stay closer to work. But with jobs being so spotty nowadays, it makes more sense to be closest to where the likely jobs are. I'm sure selling a house and moving is a lot of work, even in the best of times. We have both made a list of house & neighborhood wants and needs. Fortunately we agree on most of it.

We have our new social worker coming tomorrow to do yet another update. I'm busy cleaning. She won't be doing the white-glove test, but still. I don't think she needs to be subjected to smelly dog beds and dust bunnies. And I imagine her falling over wayward Lego's wouldn't go over too well, either. She doesn't seem to have much of a sense of humor, so we'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YOu have a fabulous update and cant wait to read your news

Alyson and Ford said...

I agree with you; our time will come and getting our referral in August will be perfect for us. Fewer tourists, better travel times. I am hoping for the best. I am always understanding and upbeat but this month has been trying. Patience, patience!
Thanks for visiting our blog!
Alyson LID 01/27/06