Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Freak-Out, Part Deux


So I was thinking/stressing/panicking the other day about the move timing, when I realized I needed to run this past my adoption agency. Wasn't sure how they'll feel about us moving states right before/shortly before/not-even-close-to our referral. They do seem to be OK with the situation, and will be able to do our home study update. Fortunately we don't need an entire new study done, & they don't care if we're renting before we buy.


I never thought I'd admit to this, but I'm starting to become a bit more comfortable with the idea that we won't get our referral before summer ends. My agency is predicting that our referral will come in November. I don't think I'll hold them to that, but it would be nice if that could happen. Rumors are saying that November '05 is a BIG month for dossiers, so I fully expect it'll take 3 - 4 months to get through them all.

In any case, we're waiting for DH's new boss to let us know more details about moving - how/when etc. Maybe we'll find out something this week since the new bosses are in town.

Let's see...other goings on. Caesar, went in for a few vaccinations today. Spent (honey, look away) - $298.00!!! He needed vaccinations AND they found a heinous ear infection and some sort of weird bacterial skin infection, too. That's money I didn't need to spend! But, he's my dog, and I can't just leave him itchy/sick guy. I noticed tonight that Louie has some weird growth on one of his eyes. Sheesh! These dogs are sooooo lucky we love them! This is money I could be spending on getting Caesar's stroller wheel fixed (I've backed over the wheel a few times going in/out of the garage). Yes, I have a stroller for my dog. But the poor guy is arthritic and has some nerve degeneration going on in his back legs, so he can't walk more than a few blocks before stopping. He doesn't collapse, he doesn't whine in pain - he just stops. Poor kid. He still loves to be around people, so we take him out in the stroller. He loves it. Louie gets bummed sometimes when he's tired, because the stroller only takes one dog comfortably (see photo in upper right corner). That's both dogs, in Halloween costumes, in the stroller, not comfortable. Maybe it's the costumes they don't like : )

Yea! Only 10 days of Pre-K left for the boy! I'll be soooo glad I don't have to drive that freekin' RSF road anymore! For those of you in the know, that particular road is the one big shortcut from the freeway to anywhere in inland north county. The last 3 or so years, it's been re-routed, increased lanes, and had every inch of it dug up and dug up again, and re-routed again. And now that's done, the 2 or 3 cities that this road traverses are now digging again to install water pipes for recycling. A lofty goal, so I grudgingly support it.
RSF is the major route used by every cement truck, landscapers' F-150 trucks(all of them white, too, what's the deal? And not from the same company!) and every bulldozer, tractor etc. Anything that has to do with building or maintaining landscape or houses uses that road on a regular basis. Now, everyone thought that adding lanes in both directions would open up traffic more. It does to an extent, but now with all the slow moving vehicles, people get a serious case of road rage. Of course, it is difficult to drive your Hummer 70 MPH on this road while trying to dodge slow-moving bulldozers, talk on your cell phone, and swig Starbucks. Did I mention this road is very hilly and winding? It takes me a good 1/2 hour each way (about 12 miles) to drop off my son in the afternoon. A few weeks ago, I was driving in the middle lane, there wasn't much traffic, and I see a white BMW speeding up on my left. Ahead there's red cones indicating the left lane is closed up ahead (that recycled water job). This women GUNS it when she sees the cones and instead of just getting in behind me, she waits until the last second and then tries to cut in front of me - with no room in front of me! Mind you, there is plenty of room around me, behind me, just not in front of me. Of course I do not let her in and honk my displeasure at her. She is TICKED! She lays on her horn. I was furious that she was mad. It wasn't me who made the unsafe swerve! Then,a block later, she gets into the lane next to me and when she can't pass around other cars, gets back into the lane behind me and honks again! I just couldn't believe how stupid that move was. I've seen worse, but this is one of the stupid ones. You have to wonder how these type of people cross the street without getting run over! Normally when people try and lane-dodge me, I usually let them in. It's not worth getting into an accident, and I'm sure that's what this person was used to doing. But, there was no room in front of me and I would've had to slam on my brakes just to let her in. Since traffic was light, I decided she could be the one to slam on her brakes and merge around me.

Another annoying thing - the parking at DS's school is horrible. It's on the corner of said busy RSF road & a residential 'hood. They have a small parking lot, but there's this one mom who will careen into the parking lot, and park almost sideways into the space. Seriously. On a number of occasions, she's actually blocked me in so I can't pull out until she moves her car. Boy, it's tempting, but I haven't hit her car. It's scary to see her coming, and she always parks next to me, so I usually park on the street which takes about 6 illegal turns to get a spot. The saving grace is that the school is a good one, so I suck it up and deal.
When my son graduates from Pre-K, I'll be one happy camper!

No comments: