We decided that trying to fix the house up, sell it, move to another state all before getting our referral would be too tough, so we're going to fix up the house before baby comes, then sell and move. Not that I want to move 1,000 miles away with a small child in tow, but I think it'll beat trying to do home improvements with the baby.
We don't have huge projects, our house is not very old, but a lot of little, cosmetic things need to be done. Probably the biggest is re-landscaping the back yard. I affectionately call it "the savanna" since we've (purposely) killed the grass off. Now, with recent rain, the grass has come back motley, with a few weeds, and curiously, the lettuce we planted in a planter box last year. This isn't going to be easy. Our side planter beds are overgrown, the side yard has weeds everywhere, and the butterfly bush is almost as tall as the house. Plus, the soil in our yard is very very clay-like. It was so hard to amend that we had to install raised beds to preserve anything living.
I'm not looking forward to the dogs destroying the plants. They are prone to eating the strawberries off the plant and tomatoes, too! Caesar used to eat rose blooms, so I've taken most of the rose bushes out. [picture is of Caesar eating an un-ripe tomato, or trying too. His mouth wasn't quite big enough to get around it].
My Mom (who is an avid gardener), always says, "Honey, plants need water to live" - yeah, whatever! I like to think it's a Darwinian test out in my yard. Whatever survives can stay.
On the inside, we need to repaint most of the upstairs rooms. Now, painting is a relatively easy job, I know, but I hate the process. From the color-picking to the prep - I hate it. I do like the actually laying on of the paint, but the rest, forget it! Right now, I'm trying to decide between about 5 shades of beige for our room. (I've watched one too many episodes of "Designed to Sell"). I've perused these swatches in the day, night, with lights on/off, drapes closed/open. I hate them all.
The baby room/office is currently painted an alarming 2-tone of a bright lime green and bright bright yellow. (Green on the bottom and yellow on top). Keep in mind these were the colors I chose whilst I was pregnant. [picture of scary yellow/green combo - nice!]
NEVER chose paint whilst being PG.
We've actually grown to love the colors, but I don't want to scare off buyers. Our first social worker visibly jumped when she walked into the room - the colors are that bright.
I should go stare at samples again before Grey's Anatomy comes on.
No comments:
Post a Comment