Monday, August 14, 2006

Walk Of Shame

We finally decided to NOT put our DS in kindergarten this year. He's a "late born" child, but still technically meets California's cutoff date to begin school. After months of research & rudely asking everyone who appears to have a school age boy,or is/was/could be a teacher, we made the decision. There were many factors, but in the end I think we're doing the right thing for our son.

So, on Friday I did what I had to do. Made the Walk of Shame to the school office and dis-enrolled my son from kindergarten. It's sad because we still are getting phone calls from the school bus system, his kindergarten teacher "we missed you at orientation...", etc. Fortunately, the usual staff "Nazi" wasn't there to bark at me. Still, I cried all the way back to my car and all the way home. I hope I didn't just screw up my son's social/academic career. Of course, if we were in almost any other state, he would be born too late in the year to start school now anyway, so it wouldn't even be an issue. So if we move out of state, he won't be years younger than his classmates.

Still, it makes me sad. In some ways it seems like he's been labeled a failure before he's even started. I know this isn't the case, but still. Teachers call it giving them "the gift of time".
I hope I can keep him challenged this year.

1 comment:

LedaP said...

Kim, where are you in ca? We're in Chula Vista. What is your LID? Just curious...

PS. My son is in 6th and I wish I would have waited an extra year! I have no idea how he will survive in middle school next year.