Ah, a happy post!
After a few weeks of having a bad eye infection and allergies, I'm finally back among the living. Darn that Vegas leg of our trip out here! It always sends my allergies into overtime, especially with my eyes - the swelling, watering, sneezing. I finally gave up & went to the doctor. Sorta forced me to get to a doctor faster than I would have wanted to, but whatever. I feel so much better now.
I had no idea how much freakin' WORK would be involved with moving! All the screw-up's with our change-of-address with the post office (their error). Trying to get all sorts of records transfered over to new care providers (dental, doctor, school, pet, adoption stuff...). Plus, we have to get our cars registered/plated/smogged for CO., and get driver's licenses. That's going to take most of a Friday. I'm glad I'm not working right now, or this would take months!
Our adoption agency has Colorado requirements that include taking parenting classes. Our social worker is frantically trying to get us into the minimum required classes before referral/travel. I believe we have a year to get all the classes completed. The classes really are a good idea, especially for people who haven't parented before, or are adopting internationally for the first time. So most of our Saturdays will be taken with these classes during the next few months. This works out OK since we'll be house-hunting near the agency anyway. Great excuse to spend more time in our targeted area.
I really do love living here. Most of the people are friendly, there's Super Targets, housing is cheaper than in CA (for now, anyway). There seems to be lots more to do here. As a family, as a community. Lots of outdoor stuff (of course), as well as indoor stuff. So far we've explored Golden, the south Denver suburbs, and parts of northern Denver 'burbs. I have, of course, scoped out my favorite haunts, Pumpkin Patch, Gymboree, Babies' R Us, Ulta, various Targets.. The only thing we're having trouble finding is a decent Mexican food restaurant in the 'burbs. Your average "Roberto's"-type of taco shops don't seem to be plentiful. Yes, I'm totally dyin' for a breakfast burrito right now! One of Dear Hubby's co-workers gave him a list of decent Mexican places around various areas. We'll have to find those spots, soon. I was worried about the diversity in the 'burbs, but so far, we've seen many different ethnic groups represented here. I won't be too worried about our daughter fitting in, or having our kids grow up around only one ethnic group.
In referral news, China has referred up to January 20th, 2006! WooHoo!
For the first time, I feel like we really could be NEXT!!!! So, either July or August. The only drag would be if China stops the referral or travel process for the Olympics, but I don't get the sense that they're going to do that.
I'm starting to shop for the bigger ticket items we'll need for Kristen, like car seats, stroller, room decorations. I've held off on clothes, like a trooper, but as soon as we get our referral, I know I'll be out shopping for more stuff. I've been to Target about 10 times, no joke, since we've been here. Between getting stuff for our new place and baby stuff, I've spent some quality time and serious cash there. Also trying to keep some of the nicer bills for our orphanage donation. I'll have to sweet-talk our credit union into keeping some larger, nice looking bills for us. I'll check into the idea that they might be able to order new bills from the Fed.
The boy is already enrolled in swimming and baseball. He can't wait to start school. I believe they start here about the same time as in CA, so around mid-August. It's already been a long summer break - for me, anyway :) By the time August rolls around, we'll both be ready for him to start school.
Anyway, the natives are restless for their dinner, so I'd better go before they butcher the pork tenderloin. [photo is of my Mom and DS at a small park in Golden- the boy was just happy to be out of the car].
No comments:
Post a Comment