Tuesday, September 16, 2008

China Time


Well well well!
After 3 long years, we're off to China!!! First to Hong Kong, recoup for a day or so, then onto Nanning to get our girl. Family Day is September 22nd (that's the 21st in the states). We complete our official adoption paperwork and then move onto Guangzhou to complete the U.S. immigration paperwork. Once we touch back down onto U.S. soil, our girl is a U.S. citizen. I can't believe it's taken this long. And I can't believe it's finally here.
I don't know if we will be able to blog in China. We're not bringing a laptop (too heavy), so I don't know what our chances are of posting anything. I'm sure there are internet cafes we can use, and I will make every effort to blog and keep everyone (who's still reading this) informed.

We haven't found a house to buy yet, but we'll keep looking. I think we should be able to find one we like in October. Our market here is definitely showing signs of turning around, and we've run into more than one nice house with multiple offers, and/or selling within a few days of coming on the market. We've liked 4 houses so far enough to consider offering on them, but we just couldn't bring ourselves to do it. I don't know if they just weren't the right house or what. I guess we need to be under the gun in order to make an offer on something. I work best under pressure. I'm just so afraid of making the wrong decision. It would be a six-figure mistake, so I'm a bit paralyzed to act. I know what I want, but I don't know if I'll be able to get it within our price range. I think I'm going to try and be picky - at least for another couple of weeks. Surprisingly both DH and I seem to mostly agree on what constitutes a nice house. We like the same features, the same floorplans. That's a big step in the right direction.

I finished copying our travel paperwork, itineraries, passport copies. I ironed some of our money so it's nice & crisp - yes, ironed! All our meds are in little itty-bitty baggies. Money in neat little baggies, labeled for use and city. Dog boarding set up, paper stopped, mail collected, plenty of diapers and wipes stock-piled. Just need to finished getting the clothes washed and into suitcases. Next up - weighing the bags! I'm hoping we come in under the 44 lb limit, but we'll leave some cash to pay any overage fees. I have a feeling we'll be buying an additional suitcase for Kristen in China, no matter what. A girl's gotta have her gifts!

I am enjoying my last few days alone in a peaceful house, without kids for most of the day. I realize that I'll be a Mom again within a week, and the thought is both wonderful and terrifying. I hope Kristen doesn't have a transition that is too hard. The update from our agency says she was put into foster care right after referral, but this is worrisome to me. Now she has yet another family to lose, another change to be made and adjusted to. I pray she's resilient and her sadness can ease out of being. I'll do everything in my power to make this so, make this easier for her. I have finally cleaned Kristen's room and baby-proofed the house. The dogs are going to their "doggie day-spa" for a few weeks, and then we're off. I pray I don't go stir-crazy stuck in economy for 15 hours. I can't can't can't sit that long. I can barely sit for more than 15 minutes, so I'll be the one roaming the aisles whenever possible. Movie or no movie.
I finally managed to get a doctor I think will be good for Kristen. She has experience with kids from China, and has an interest in developmental & behavioral issues.

I think I can post this picture now.



Enjoy and hopefully I'll post from China!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

enjoy your journey of a lifetime. We will be thinking about you

NorasMommy said...

Cute picture! It looks like she might have a lucky jade ankle bracelet - someone is looking out for her!

Safe travels. I hope that you're able to post, we look forward to reading about your trip!

Jennifer