Monday, May 05, 2008

Referrals for May

So they only made it to the 12th... 3 days worth. I wasn't expecting them to do 8 days, but ugh. Fortunately for my unsuspecting family, I'm greatly preoccupied with moving details. Hubby went out to Denver last week and got us a place to live for 6 months while we house hunt. Turns out it's hard to find a nice 3 bedroom townhouse/condo with an attached garage for less than a year's lease. One place I really really wanted in Lakewood told me over the phone they had spots available for a 6 month lease. When hubby got there, it turned into a minimun of 12 months. He called the 800 number for the leasing company and they told him 9 months. So, never trust what they tell you over the phone. Too bad too since the townhome was in a good school district.
We ended up a bit further north in the 'burbs than I would chose to buy in, but we got a new complex, 3 bedroom - a bit larger than our current house. It has it's pluses: one level, nice pool, rec. center, fitness center and it backs up to a dirt embankment so the dogs can go directly out onto the patio and dirt area to potty. I couldn't find any real complaints about the complex on any of the ratings' sites. Most places have at least a few complaints. The minuses: the school assigned to the area is bad (rated a "2" on the 1-10 Greatschools site), it's near a cemetery (I don't think it's within view, though), and the garage isn't attached. Turns out we can't store all our crap in it anyway, so we had to rent a storage unit. A rather large one. We will end up paying in rent & storage about what we will end up paying for a mortgage, so it'll be a test for us, but we expected to pay more than our current mortgage anyway.

Caesar, our dog has finished his round of shots, poor guy. He was definitely hating it at the end. I took him in for tests today and hopefully they'll come back with everything clear. The doc. will copy all his results down in case he needs to go back after we move NEXT WEEK! Yikes.

Yes, officially freaking out. We have finished most everything, or are about to, but we still have some large items (TV, bookcases, computer desk), to get rid of before we go. If the new home owner doesn't buy our appliances, we'll have to try and sell them quickly. She's kinda been hemming and hawing whether or not to buy them. I sent pictures today so she can look at them. The other day she asked for make/model info, which is a reasonable request. I think we gave her until Saturday to make up her mind.
Still packing...I think I'll have packing nightmares by the time this move is completed. Dreading packing the garage. Think I'll have hubby do all his tools. We're STILL finding junk to donate or throw away. I finally threw away all my LP's from the 70's/'80's. Every import alternative/ska/punk album I've ever owned. I thought I'd be more upset about losing them, but I just feel relieved. I've been meaning to get rid of them for at least 5 years now. Tried to sell them to Louie's Records. They didn't want them. I'm not even sure what condition they were in - they had heavy rotation. Very cathartic!
Had a small moment of panic when I realized we weren't getting faxes to sign from Bekins for the revised move estimate. They have to have signed paperwork to actually do the booking of move dates. Freaked out until I finally figured out I'd exceeded my "free fax" limit from EFax. Broke down and paid for unlimited service.
The boy (DS) got in trouble at school for the first time yesterday. I pick him up and he comes out to me crying "I got in trouble!!!". Turns out he kicked (kicked!) a boy for not sharing a toy with him. He did get punished at school by not being allowed to participate in music time. I didn't yell at him since he was already punished, but we talked about why kicking someone was a bad thing to do. He did feel bad afterwards and apologized to the other boy. I reminded him what he felt like when people have done that to him in the past, and he understood. I'm glad the other boy wasn't hurt beyond a sore leg.
As a family, and individually we've been frantically trying to see all our friends before we leave. I have a few people left to see before we go. That's more important to me

No comments: