OK, so maybe the title is a bit dramatic, but not too far off the mark. Some days are OK, and some just stink. I was in the baby section of a store last week, and was going to buy a $3.00 pair of socks for the baby when I had this flash of dread, like if I bought those socks it would somehow jinx the adoption & stop it from happening. Sometimes I feel like if I get too excited & do too much planning, wishing & buying that it'll somehow cause the adoption to fail. Something bad will happen & we can't adopt. I think it's a hold-over from all the losses we've had over the last ten years, and how excited we got only to have our dreams dashed in the most cruel way. I've talked to others who've experienced losses & they feel the same. It's not "real" until a baby is really there in your arms.
Not really any news to report on the wait to China. CCAI is still saying 11-14 months, and my guess is that it's going to be closer to 14 months if not longer. CCAA just finished matching people who were logged in from 6/15/05, so we have 7 months worth of familes ahead of us. There are many theories as to why the slowdown. Some say it's because of the Hunan baby trafficking scandal (of which I've never even heard of), or that CCAA has moved offices, delaying the matching process. Rumors also suggest that China doesn't want the wait to go over 12 months, which is fine by me, if true!
On a more worrisome front, our I-171H (INS approval to bring a foreign-born orphan into the US), is set to expire on 5/07/07. This is BAD BAD BAD. That lovely, expensive document is only good for 18 months from approval. With the waits increasing, most people's approval will expire before they travel. For ours to remain valid, we would have to have a referral no later than say, March 2007. After it expires, we'll have to re-apply, providing another certified copy of birth certificates, marriage certificates, a home -study update, 2 new sets of fingerprints, new physicals, and of course, fees, all of which should amount to around $2000.00.
So much for buying that new bed!
On a lighter note, I belong to a bib-swap group, & I received 2 bibs this week. Each is adorable. I'll try & post pictures when I have more time.
This weekend should be busy. It's my DH & I's 17 wedding anniversary - whew! And we have a "Waiting Families" potluck for the FCC-SD chapter on the same day.
My DS "graduates" preschool next week, starts a new Pre-K school, 2 friends are getting ready to have babies in the next few weeks, and my adorable niece is almost 3 months old! An old friend is moving to Texas, a parent is retiring, and my son just caught his first 2 fish last weekend- first time fishing.
So, not much happening, how 'bout with you?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment